QAD EE Data Conversion Tracker – Use, Data Elements and Metrics
For complex QAD Enterprise Applications projects, the importance of a concise and accurate Data Conversion Tracker managed in Microsoft Excel or SharePoint is critical to a successful cutover. During the last several weeks leading up to a Go-Live, management of the static, master, and dynamic data; along with the data ownership and status is important, as is the ability to view status metrics at any given time to view progress and notice issues.
Additionally, the ability to prove out the conversion and approvals for internal and external auditors is important to think about and prepare for ahead of time. To this end, Logan Consulting recommends the following data points be tracked for the entire list of static, master and dynamic data. This Tracker can be developed, validated and tested as the team goes through Conference Room Pilots and User Acceptance Testing. Executing it multiple times will make the Production transition that much smoother:
- In Scope – As projects vary, a data elements may be in scope for one project but not another. In order to not re-create the tracker each time, simply reviewing for in scope (Yes/No) be used. If scope is added often the out of scope tasks can easily be found for a given area.
- Sequence or Grouping – This should represent a sequence or grouping to load the data. Often data can be loaded in parallel with other data.
- Menu – Listing the QAD EE mane number is often helpful to find where the data needs to be entered.
- Menu Name or Description – If menus numbers are not used, the menu name can be used with a description of the data to be entered
- Pre-Load Approval Status – This is the status of the data not yet loaded. Email requests of the approver with load files for the approver to review and agree to can be sent. Once approved, the data can be loaded.
- Post-Load Approval Status – Logan Consulting also recommends the same approver(s) who reviewed the pre-load file also review the data in Production once loaded to verify there are no issues
- Loading Tool / Approach – It is often helpful to be able to tell if data will be entered manually, via Excelerator, Excel Integration, programmatically, or via other methods.
- Supplier of Data – This is the team member responsible for supplying the data to load
- Loader of Data – This is the team member responsible for actually loading the data
- Data Load Support – With more complex data, a secondary functional support team member or consultant can be named to assist the loader with the data.
- Approver – The approver of pre-load data files and post-load Production data.
All pre-load and loaded files should be posted to SharePoint, along with email approvals of the pre-load files and loaded data. Many email applications allow you to save the email as a file, which can be posted to SharePoint. An auditor can then open the email file from SharePoint and not only see the email, but also the approved load file attachments or report attachments.
In addition to a concise and accurate Data Conversion Tracker, being able to leverage SharePoint to store and manage the approval process for Dynamic Data not only provides a solid trail of what occurred over cutover weekend, but this process can provide auditors with a reconciliation path that proves the approvals occurred as part of the process.
The below content should appear on all publications
About Logan Consulting
Logan Consulting is a leading consulting firm with strengths in strategy, project management, business process design, ERP and CRM implementation, recruitment and training. Since 1992, our business process-based delivery techniques and tools have helped our clients build a solid business process and information technology foundation to support their business. Our clients count on us for objective, unbiased analysis, recommendations and project work. To learn more and hear what our customers are saying about us, please visit our website (www.logan-consulting.com).
Logan Consulting is headquartered in Chicago, IL with global services reach.
Is Your Accounting Software Hurting Your Business?
Top 10 Inventory & Operations Decisions Distributors Are Making Blind
2020 Nucleus Research Report on ERP Technology