If you are interested in learning more about the optimize year-end close add-in using Microsoft Dynamics 365 Finance, contact us here to find out how we can help you grow your business. You can also email us at email@example.com or call (312) 345-8817.
Optimize year-end close with Microsoft Dynamics 365 Finance
Year-end close can be a stressful time. To ease stress and to execute a successful year-end close it is essential to utilize all resources for increasing performance. With the Microsoft Dynamics 365 Finance Optimize year-end close service add in, you can increase performance and minimize the impact on SQL database. In this blog, we will introduce you and your team to the year-end close add-in and highlight the following topics: improved performance, new options and visibility, architecture and data flow, and a high level flow for year-end close processing.
Microsoft Dynamics 365 Finance Optimize year-end close service add-in uses microservice technology to allow the year-end close processing to operate outside the Application Object Server (AOS). In order to optimize the year-end close add-in you should complete the following steps:
- Install the Optimize year-end close service add-in
- In feature management, enable Optimize year-end close feature
Especially with large volumes of data, year-end close can be challenging; the Optimize year-end close feature is created to accelerate year-end close processing and ease the difficulty of the process. The Optimize year-end close feature aids in accomplishing the following goals:
- Improve performance of year-end close by reducing runtime
- Decrease impact on other processes duringyear-end close run
- Because time of year-end close run is reduced, reporting and adjustments for year-end results are improved
New options and visibility
With the Optimize year-end close feature enabled, two new columns, Results and Status, will be added to the following places:
- Year-end close page
- Year-end close results dialog box
- Balance sheet financial dimension transfer options on Year-end close template page
The image below shows the Results and Status columns on the Year-end close page. In the Results column, select the View Results link to open the results of the year-end close. The status column shows the current state of the year-end close process.
Additionally, with the Optimize year-end close feature, the Balance sheet financial dimensions FastTab is available on the Year-end close template page. This FastTab is useful to specify balance sheet financial dimensions in detail when closing a year.
Architecture and data flow
In order to use the Optimize year-end close feature and to run the year-end close on a microservice, the Optimize year-end close service add-in must be installed from Lifecycle Services. Then, the Optimize year-end close feature must be enabled in Feature management.
The image below shows the year-end close processing verifies that the add-in is both installed and that the feature is enabled. With both of these steps complete, the year-end close will run on the micro service.
High-level flow for year-end close processing
- The year-end close process starts in Finance, at General ledger > Period close > Year-end close. The process creates tasks for the legal entities that are being closed along with batch jobs.
- The year-end close determines whether the year-end close should run on the current closing logic or on the microservice.
- If the Optimize year-end close service add-in is both installed in Lifecycle Services, and the Optimize year-end close feature is enabled, the year-end close will run on the microservice.
- The Optimize year-end close feature creates a different year-end close service job for each legal entity that is being closed. Then, it runs the year-end close logic. The microservice performs the year-end close.
- Finance listens to the year-end close through the microservice in order to determine when the microservice has finished. Then, the year-end close results update on the Year-end close page in Finance.
- If the Optimize year-end close service is not installed and enabled, the year-end close will run on the current closing logic.
2020 Nucleus Research Report on ERP Technology