If you are interested in learning more about asset BOMs in Microsoft Dynamics 365 SCM, contact us here to find out how we can help you grow your business. You can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (312) 345-8817.
Asset BOMs in Dynamics 365 Supply Chain Management
Posted on: December 13, 2022 | By: Emily Aro | Microsoft Dynamics AX/365, Microsoft Dynamics Manufacturing
Asset bills of materials (Asset BOMs) are great tools for your business to keep track of all of the materials associated with a certain asset. Asset BOMs can help increase efficiency for technicians and help managers with inventory management. In order to keep this information organized and up to date, it is important to be familiar with how to utilize Asset Management in regards to Asset BOMs in Microsoft D365. To make Asset BOM management easier for all users this blog will review how to do the following:
- Set up spare parts item groups
- View and update asset BOMs
- Create a new item line in an asset BOM
On the Asset BOM page you can find a list of all items (spare parts and other items) used on an asset throughout its lifetime. You should consider setting up an asset BOM during the setup procedure. If an asset BOM is set up, you can track the item history for that asset starting from its creation date.
After finishing a maintenance job and item consumption has been registered on a work order, you can track consumption of spare parts and other items that are used on the asset. This functionality lets you keep a complete item consumption record for all of your assets. For example, you can use the record to monitor whether a specific spare part is often replaced, or to keep track of the spare parts or other items that are currently used on an asset.
An asset BOM can be automatically updated based on the setup in Asset Management. If a work order lifecycle state has been created to handle finished or completed work orders, and if the Update asset BOM option for that work order lifecycle state is set to Yes on the Work order lifecycle states page, all items that are used on the work order will be automatically updated on the Asset BOM page when the work order is updated to that lifecycle state.
You can also manually update an asset BOM by creating new item lines on the Asset BOM page.
On the Asset BOM page, you can track spare parts history for assets after item consumption is registered on a work order. To use this functionality, you must select the item groups that should be used for spare parts registration on the Spare parts item groups page.
To use asset BOM functionality, you must first set up the required spare parts items groups. Then, if you want the asset BOM to be automatically updated when a work order is completed, you can set up a work order lifecycle state to handle that update.
Set up spare parts item groups
The setup of spare parts history is based on item groups that are created in the Inventory and warehouse management module. In Asset Management, you set up item groups in order to track spare parts history for the items in the selected item groups.
- Select Asset management > Setup > Asset > Spare parts item groups.
- Select New to set up an item group.
- In the Item group field, select the group. The name of the group is automatically entered in the Name field.
View and update asset BOMs
After you post item consumption on a work order, you can view the registered item consumption on the Asset BOM page.
- Select Asset management > Assets > Active assets. Select the asset in the list, and then select Asset BOM.
- Select Update asset BOM. You can add assets, asset types, and resources to the update as you require by selecting Select. Select OK to start the update. You can also set up the Update function as a batch job.
- If you want to see more information that is related to the items, you can add inventory dimensions. Select Inventory > Dimensions display, and then select the check boxes for the dimensions that you want to see. To keep this setup for all assets on the Asset BOM page, set the Save setup option to Yes.
- To get an overview of where in Asset Management the item on the selected line is used, in relation to assets, job type defaults, spare parts, and work orders, select Item where used.
- If you want to see only active item lines, select View > Current. To see all item lines, including lines where the expiration date is earlier than the current date, select View > All.
Create a new item line in an asset BOM
You can manually create item lines for assets:
- On the Asset BOM page, select New.
- In the Asset field, select the asset to add an item line for.
- In the Line number field, enter a sequential line number.
- In the Effective field, enter a start date for the item.
- If the item will expire, in the Expiration field, enter an end date.
- In the Item number field, select the item. The name is automatically entered in the Product name field.
- In the Quantity field, enter the quantity that is used. The Unit field is automatically updated.
25 Brilliant Ideas to Outsmart Your Competition with Microsoft Dynamics
Top 10 Inventory & Operations Decisions Distributors Are Making Blind
2020 Nucleus Research Report on ERP Technology