Attaching and Retrieving Original Vendor Invoices in Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012
Posted on: February 23, 2016 | By: Jarrod Kraemer | Microsoft Dynamics AX/365
Written by: Rosey McAdams
The Microsoft Dynamics AX AP invoice journal makes entering and posting vendor invoices quite simple. The invoice journal offers great visibility into who entered the invoice, who the vendor is, how much the invoice was for, when it is due, who approved the invoice, etc. sometimes your business still requires to just plain see the original invoice sent from the vendor. Now, keeping a stack of vendor invoices in a file cabinet somewhere can be a solution to this problem, but Dynamics AX document handling feature makes accessing original vendor invoices so much easier than sifting through a file cabinet.
Using Dynamics AX Document handling users have the ability to attach an original vendor invoice directly to the AX invoice journal voucher upon entry. This allows for the original vendor invoice to be available right through the journal entry as well as through the vendor master posted transactions. This becomes extremely useful if approving managers require the original invoice prior to approval for posting, the document flows through with the invoice through the entire approval process. This feature is also helpful if the organization is ever required to do some research on what makes up a vendor balance, right from the vendor master screen we can pull up any invoice that was ever attached to this vendor. So much more efficient than sending around emails with invoices attached or digging through file cabinets!
Follow the simple steps below to attach and retrieve original vendor invoice documents:
1. Click Area Page node: Accounts payable -> Journals -> Invoices -> Invoice Journal.
2. Select an open AP Invoice Journal and click on Lines or create a new invoice.
3. Once you have completed entering an invoice and the credits and debits balance arrow down to make sure a new voucher number begins. (If you do not do this, you will not be able to attach a document).
4. Select the vendor line of the invoice that you would like to attach by clicking anywhere on the vendor line.
5. Click on the attach icon at the bottom of the screen.
6. The Document Handling form will pop up. Click New > File.
7. Another window will pop up for you to select your file. Navigate to the location where the file is saved and select the invoice that you would like to attach and click Open.
8. The file name you chose will populate in the Description field. You can add any relevant notes at the bottom of the Document Handling form. Close out of the form.
9. Once the invoice journal is posted you will be able to see the invoice in vendor transactions. Navigate to Accounts Payable > Common > All Vendors.
10. Select vendor that you just attached and posted the invoice for and click on Transactions.
11. Select the invoice that you just added the attachment to and posted and click on the attach icon again.
12. Click Open to see the attached scanned invoice.
Hopefully this helpful tip will save you some valuable hours digging through file cabinets and old e-mails!
For additional information please feel free to reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (312) 345-8817.
All the best!
25 Brilliant Ideas to Outsmart Your Competition with Microsoft Dynamics
Top 10 Inventory & Operations Decisions Distributors Are Making Blind
2020 Nucleus Research Report on ERP Technology