Move an AP Invoice from One Vendor to Another in Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012
Posted on: May 5, 2017 | By: Jarrod Kraemer | Microsoft Dynamics AX/365
Authored by: Kelly Neely
The daily function of an AP Clerk is to review, code and enter AP invoices. During this task, it is very easy to enter an invoice to the wrong vendor. These mistakes are often not found until after the transaction is posted. So what should you do to move invoice from one vendor to another?
The first step is to gather all the information on the incorrect invoice. You will need the incorrect vendor number, the correct vendor number, invoice number, document date (invoice date) and amount. To begin the process of moving the invoice:
1. Go to General Ledger> Journals> General journal
2. Create a new GL journal. Fill in a meaningful description and go to Lines.
3. In the Date column, fill in the posting date. Ideally this would be the same posting date that the invoice was originally posted, but if that period is closed, choose the 1st date of the month that is open. For the Document Date, fill in the invoice date. I have modified my screen to pull this date to the grid, so on your screen it may be at the bottom. In account type, change this to Vendor. In Account fill in the vendor account number for the INCORRECT vendor.
4. At the top, go to Functions> Settlement
5. Find the invoice that you are fixing, and put a check in the Mark column. Then select Close.
6. This will bring the amount over to the Debit column of the invoice you are fixing. In the Description field, fill in the vendor name, or some other meaningful description. In the offset account field, put in a clearing account. This clearing account will be offset so the net effect on the GL will be zero.
7. Go to the Invoice tab. In the Invoice field and in the Document field, fill in the invoice number. Once complete, go back to the Overview tab.
8. Back on the Overview tab, arrow down to create a new line. Fill in the Date and Document date exactly the same as the line above. Change the Account Type to Vendor and in Account fill in the correct vendor account number. In Description, fill in the vendor name. In the Credit column, fill in the invoice amount. In the Offset account, fill in exactly as the line above with the clearing account.
9. Go to the Invoice tab. In the Invoice field and in the Document field, fill in the invoice number. Once complete, go back to the Overview tab.
10. Once everything is filled in, go to the top and select Post. You should get an Infolog that the journals are posted.