Dynamics 365 for Financials – Process Sales Returns or Cancellations
Posted on: July 31, 2017 | By: Jim Bertler | Microsoft Dynamics Business Central
Authored by: Brent Stabiner
If a customer wants to return or be reimbursed for items or services that have been sold and paid for, a sales credit memo that specifies the requested change must be created and posted. To include the correct sales invoice information, create the sales credit memo from the posted sales invoice, or use a copy function.
In addition to the original posted sales invoice, a user can apply the sales credit memo to other sales documents, for example another posted sales invoice, because the customer is also returning items delivered with that invoice.
A return or reimbursement may relate to only some of the items or services on the original sales invoice. In that case, a user must edit information on the lines on the sales credit memo. When the user posts the sales credit memo, the sales documents that are affected by the change are reversed and a refund payment can be created for the customer.
To create a sales credit memo from a posted sales invoice:
In the top right corner, choose the Search for Page or Report icon, enter Posted Sales Invoices, and choose the related link.
In the Posted Sales Invoices window, select the posted sales invoice to reverse, and then choose the Create Corrective Credit Memo action.
3. The sales credit memo header contains some information from the posted sales invoice. This can be edited, for example, with new information that reflects the return agreement.
4. Choose the Apply Entries action.
5. In the Apply Customer Entries window, select the line with the posted sales document that you want to apply the sales credit memo to, and then choose the Applies-to ID action. The identifier of the sales credit memo displays in the Applies-to ID field.
6. In the Amount to Apply field, enter the amount to apply if it's smaller than the original amount. At the bottom of the Apply Customer Entries window, the total amount to apply is displayed to reverse all involved entries, namely when the value in the Balance field is zero.
7. Choose the OK button. When the sales credit memo is posted, it is applied to the posted sales documents.
8. Choose the Post and Send action.
The Post and Send Confirmation dialog box opens showing the preferred sending method for the customer. A user can change the sending method by choosing the lookup button for the Send Document to field.
The posted sales documents that the credit memo was applied to are now reversed, and a refund payment can be created for the customer. The sales credit memo is removed and replaced with a new document in the list of posted sales credit memos.
Top 10 Inventory & Operations Decisions Distributors Are Making Blind
2020 Nucleus Research Report on ERP Technology